Sunday 17 May 2015

Give us this day our daily bread

Dairy-free scotch eggs and 'cowboy pies'
I've been challenged recently about how providing food for my family is one of the main ways I can fulfil my God-given role of looking after my family. Elizabeth George, in her book A Mom After God's Own Heart, says:
Our goal as moms is to see that those in our family are not deprived of the food, nutrition, health and energy they need to handle daily life, prevent melt-downs and stay happy.
I've always thought that I've done ok, but in reality I know that I can improve in this area! I can learn more about nutrition and what Zoë and Caleb are actually eating. I can improve my meal planning to include snacks and preparation time to ensure that melt-downs are avoided as much as possible.

Enjoying his lunch!
As well as being challenged in what I'm reading, we're also going through some food issues as a family. As many of you know Caleb has been dairy-free since he was a few months old and, whilst we're slowly reintroducing milk, has a fully dairy-free diet which requires planning. Zoë was gluten-free for the first couple of years but more recently has tolerated a low-gluten diet. However recent illnesses suggest that this may no longer be the case. We are currently in a 6 week phase of high gluten consumption before a load of blood tests to see what is occurring... after that it may be that we have to be gluten-free too! And of course I'm allergic to nuts!

Cooking is great fun!
If we're a dairy-free, gluten-free and nut-free family then I need to swat up on nutrition to make sure we're not deprived of the nutrients we need, and I need to be more organised with my meal and snack planning. So, as a way of holding me accountable I thought I'd share some of my ideas here with you...
- chat with friends who are further down the line on the intolerance journey.
- include snack ideas on our meal planner
- plan meals with low preparation times and schedule in preparation in my day
- make/bake more of our own snacks
- research more ideas for df, gf and nf breakfasts and lunches to add variety and different nutrients
- consider a 4 week free course with University of Aberdeen on nutrition

I hope you'll enjoy coming on this journey with me as I explore how I can feed my family for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment